New Atmospheric Plasma Technology sterilizes nonwoven surfaces in an efficient and eco-friendly approach
Release date: 10/1/2006
MENOMONEE FALLS, WI- Enercon's new Plasma3™ Atmospheric Plasma Technology (APT) effectively disinfects materials prior to converting, printing, coating or laminating.
The benefits of using atmospheric plasma for surface sterilization relative to current processes such as the use of silver zeolite complex (additive to polymer resin), quatemary silicone (coated onto textile), halamines (coated onto textile and regenerated by washing in chlorine bleach) or triclosan (additive to textile) are:
- Applied as an in-line, dry and continuous surface treatment process, without the use of wet chemistries.
- Effective at near ambient temperatures without damaging heat-sensitive biomaterials
- Atmospheric plasma treatment leaves no organic residue
- Affects only the contaminants near the surface of treated area without changing the bulk properties of the material
- Ability to functionalize surface by modifications not possible through chemical process
Atmospheric plasma surface treatment techniques provide a fast, efficient and eco-friendly sterilization effect on nonwoven/textile surfaces. This process causes the large majority of serious threat bacteria to be eliminated.
Plasma3™ is a revolutionary surface treatment technology developed by Enercon and our technology partner Sigma Technologies International. This breakthrough system successfully treats a wide range of substrates and is the world's first Atmospheric Plasma Treatment system for the optimal treatment and functionalizing of web surfaces. Systems can be customized to fit most production lines.
Enercon offers convenient Plasma3™ trials in our surface treatment laboratory. Companies are welcome to contact us to conduct their own assessment of Plasma3™, or other Enercon products, in our on-site laboratory. Enercon Industries Corporation, headquartered in Menomonee Falls, WI, is a major manufacturer of equipment for the plastics and packaging industries. The company supplies custom built corona, flame and atmospheric plasma treating systems, and 3D plasma treaters for the plastics and rubber industries.